Monday, December 19, 2011

How many churches advertise in your local telephone directory, & how many homeless shelters are in your area?

There are 445 churches listed in the


Antelope Valley Yellow Pages 2009 - 2010.


That's twelve cities and the surrounding areas.


(Yeah, I counted all of them Uncle)





There are a grand total of one (1) homeless shelters listed.





That's funny.


I had no idea..|||I live in a really small town ( won't say where though) and there are several churches here. However, there is not one homeless shelter here.





They tried to have one here, but the funding ran out. The city police were at the shelter every night, because of drug and alcohol related problems-and even one near beating death.





I do not disagree that we should we have a homeless shelter here (I lived in homeless shelters for a couple of years at one time).





But, if they are going to have one here in the small town I live in, they need to have a positive infrastructure to maintain some kind of order in the shelter.|||I won't even try to count how many churches we have in Northern Ky. Just looking in the phonebook just for Northern Ky, there are several pages! I know of only 2 homeless shelters... one is a Woman's Crisis Center and the other is called Fairhaven.





We used to have a local Pagan Community Center which took in homeless during the winter nights, but they had to close down due to vandalism and attacks. They used to supply school supplies, clothes, food, appliances (I gave an old dryer, blender and toaster to them - they were gone in 1 day), etc... I think they did more than even the freestore did for people.|||I've never seen the efforts of the church get someone out of poverty, if anything it makes them more dependent.





So much for god unlocking human potential.|||We have about 40 churches in the area and 1 homeless shelter. Also - most of the churches open their doors and kitchens for the homeless. Also - 4 of these churches (that I know of) never have locked doors just for that purpose.|||Well, I just looked in the Yellow Pages, and there are 40 churches listed and not a single homeless shelter.





Correction...I found one shelter, but it calls itself a "Crisis Center", so I'm not really sure if it's a homeless shelter or not.|||A Catholic, Lutheran and Methodist church and no shelter.


The rare homeless person to show up in our community is given shelter in a motel until the Sheriff can give him a ride to a shelter in the city.|||The nearest big town (my town has a population of a 100 and only 2 churches) probably has 40-50 churches and 1 shelter (population about 10,000).|||Well in where I live aren't many churches i know only one but i am sure there are more..We have a lot of mosques cuz we are more Muslim land :\...


We have many homeless who live in the street we got no shelters :(|||Not sure about churches, probably quite a few - as for homeless shelters, there is one about 5 mins walk from here.|||10 homeless shelters (2 emergency shelters during winter)... churches: in the hundreds|||Most of the churches in my area run thier own or support others homeless shelters.|||Are you suggesting using churches as housing for the homeless? Hmm, not bad.|||Uncle, the town in which I live boasts 534 souls. That's a mite small by any standards. Within 5 blocks of my home there is a United Methodist church, and a Pilgrim Holiness. On the street behind my house sits New Rehobeth Church, and just past that is New Hope. Less than a mile out the road are the Baptists, with the Jehovah's Witnesses perhaps half a mile past that. That's 6 churches in the immediate area, with three more before you hit the next nearest town going east.





Because I enjoy photographing churches (especially the old ones, even better if they have a carillon) I am aware of every church within 100 miles. On the road to the city where the first oil well in the US was drilled, there sit 23 -- count 'em --- 23 churches of various denominations. Another 15 are located between my home and the town in which I was born -- a town which is only 35 miles away.





I believe I've just detailed the approximate locations of 50 churches, which is ridiculous, considering this county has about 20,000 people. These 50 churches are not the only churches within this county. I am aware of 2 local churches (can't speak for those farther than 10 miles from my home) which provide meals to the needy, and which operate a food pantry. There are no food banks within my county, with the exception of those churches whose congregations try to do their part. The number of homeless shelters sits at zero.





That's zero homeless shelters, Uncle, and we do have homeless in my area. Would you like to know where the homeless in my area live? Burger King. There is a now-vacant Burger King across from our local Walmart and the usual array of fast food joints. It is here where the homeless pitch their tents. I'm not kidding.





As our phone book includes listings for 3 counties, I'm not even looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment